Dawlish Air Show is proud to support the Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund
The RAFBF attended Dawlish Air Show for the first time in 2012 and made a hugely successful return to The Lawn in 2013, giving the charity an opportunity to fund-raise more and tell visitors to the event all about the vital work the RAFBF carries out.
About the Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund:
The Royal Air Force has a proud tradition of looking after its own. The RAF Benevolent Fund is the RAF’s leading welfare charity and is an extension of that tradition.
“The RAF Benevolent Fund is part of the conscience of the British nation.” Winston Churchill.
Since its foundation in 1919, it has been there, through thick and thin, supporting the RAF family. It is there for all serving and former members of the RAF as well as their partners and dependent children.
WHY IT EXISTS:
It has three main goals, or charitable objects. These are the reasons that it exists as a charity:
- The first is to maintain and preserve the RAF Memorial in London on behalf of the nation
- The second is to provide assistance to the RAF family, when they are in need
- The third is to support the morale and well-being of the serving RAF
- It is also responsible for the new Bomber Command Memorial in central London
WHAT IT DOES:
It provides a spectrum of care, supporting everyone from children growing up on RAF stations, to those serving today to keep our skies safe, to the veterans who fought for our freedom.
It could be supporting a Second World War pilot in later life, supporting the widow and children of an RAF Reservist killed in action, or providing practical help to a young RAF Regiment Gunner injured in Afghanistan.
It also runs a range of innovative projects and services, including:
- Airplay – a project supporting children and young people growing up on RAF stations
- Debt and money advice – provided through the Citizens Advice Bureau
- Relationship counselling for RAF couples
- Respite breaks – welcome breaks from the frontline
- Princess Marina House – a relaxing, seaside home-from-home for the RAF family
- And much more……
The RAFBF spends over £20 million each year supporting over 60,000 people, and it relies on you to make it all happen.
HOW IT IS FUNDED:
It is an independent charity and receives no government funding.
It relies entirely on your support to continue its work. It works hard to keep its overheads low – 88 pence in every pound donated goes directly to support the RAF family.
HOW YOU CAN SUPPORT THE RAFBF:
You can support the RAFBF in many different ways, and it all makes a difference to the RAF family.
- Fundraise – host a pub quiz night or run a marathon
- Donate – every donation counts no matter how big or small
- Leave a gift in your will – and make a difference for future generations
- Volunteer – help out at an airshow or volunteer your skills
- Join the RAFBF community – find the RAFBF on Facebook and Twitter
FIND OUT MORE:
There is more detailed information about the work of the RAFBF and how it spends its money in the annual review and report.
If you need RAFBF support, you can apply online or if you need any further information please, get in touch.